Pages

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

FTTC #249 Stitch it up!





Our challenge this week is to Stitch it up
You can do the real deal with thread and needle or you can do a little faux stitching with a piercer and pen! I actually used needle and thread.... a rare event in my craft room. You can always play along with our challenge and have a chance to win a gift certificate! Just in time to do a little holiday shopping for yourself! Find all the detail son how to enter our challenge on the Flourishes Blog

Check out what the DT stitched up for you today!
Cheryl Lea
Deborah Anton
Jenny Gropp  -  you are here!

Kerin Sylvester is our special Guest Designer this week. You can find lots of amazing inspiration on her blog Stamps, Paper, Glitter! Welcome Kerin! We are tickled to have you with us this week! 

 I used the Winter Berries set this week. I really love every single sentiment in this set, so it will see a lot of ink. My golds in the picture look awful.... in person they match nicely. I tried to edit to reflect the way the golds actually look, I just made it worse! lol! 

 I chose this die (Spellbinder's Majestic Labels 25) because I was going to hand stitch the border around the shape and this die does the little piercings in the paper. I traced the inside of the die and hand cut it out, resulting in the stamped panel in the above picture. I added a little airbrushing with Y28 Copic and stamped the image. This way the actual stitched die cut would be a nice fitted layer.

 Here it is.... needle and thread. I won't lie, this was kind of a pain! I thought this metallic thread would be really cool. Instead it was kind of fussy to work with. It is not smooth strands, so it kept catching when I was threading it though. Plus the little piercings were made by the die and some were smaller than others, which made extra work for me too. I would have been better off choosing some plain old embroidery floss. And the kicker... in the end I think the stitching got a little lost in the layers on my card!

Here is an up close.... and I forgot to snap a pic of my Copics.
Leaves: YG95, YG93, YG97, YG99
Berries: R89, R37, R56, 0 Blender
I used a Viva Clear Glass Effects Pen to add a little bit of shine to the berries.
The sentiment is heat embossed using Versafine and Gold Detail EP.

On the inside I added some very soft airbrushing with Copic Y28 around the edges. A little decorative strip along the edge with my leftovers. I stamped the sentiment using Versafine Olympia Green. 

12 comments:

  1. This card is fantastic. Love it. The sewing is incredible but don't think I would ever undertake that even though it is so worth it on this card. Also love the color combination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THIS IS GORGEOUS & LOOK AT that STITCHING you've done!!!!!!!:)AND the COLORING!!!!!!!! THIS IS GORGEOUUUUUUUUUSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. May have been a pain but it looks like it was totally worth it by hand stitching. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow your card is gorgeous!! I love the way the gold stitching highlights your beautifully colored image! Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a pretty card! I love the stitching! It really adds to the card! :) Nancee

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember metallic thread from my cross stitch days, and it's not much better on fabric! But, I have to say, it was so worth it here. Your card is gorgeous! The depth you created in the image is something to study, and the gold stitched border turned out beautiful! Fabulous card, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, this is spectacular! I particularly love the gold stitched border. Everything on this card is perfect....the colors, coloring, die cut details, etc. It is exciting to see perfection....gives me something to aspire to! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely stunning Jenny! What a creative way to use a pierced die cut! Super clever - and your stitching detail is so beautiful! I love the texture and colour is brings to your card! Fabulous card creation this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning card! That's a lot of patience to stitch the edge that way--beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunning Jenny! I can't believe you hand stitched that. Awesome! Even though some got lost in the layers, the whole thing came together beautifully and is an eye catcher!

    ReplyDelete
  11. As gorgeous as this is in the photo, I'll bet it's even more so IRL! LOVE your stitching around that beautifully colored image! :)

    ReplyDelete