Pages

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Serendipity Challenge #12 - Victory Gardens


Welcome to a new challenge for Serendipity Stamps! 
The Serendipity Challenge this week is Victory Gardens. 
Victory Gardens, also called "war gardens" or "food gardens for defense", were gardens planted both at private residences and on public land during World War I and World War II to reduce the pressure on the public food supply brought on by the war effort.

You can join along with us at the Serendipity Stamps Challenge Blog. With each challenge we always have a gift certificate up for grabs to a random player. 
Want to go shopping?  Serendipity currently has a 50% off sale on select wood mounted stamps.  Get them while they last here.

Check out the cards the team came up with for this challenge:
Jenny Gropp - you are here!

 So with the theme being garden related, I thought this pump would fit with the theme. It also reminded me of this picture below.

This is a picture of my father and his older brother. My dad is the one holding the cup. I love everything about this picture! The composition, the expression on the faces, the cute little overalls.... I just love it!  

 I kept my colors all neutral, with the picture as my inspiration.  You can see I airbrushed a bit of N3 around the nestie before removing it from the die. Had to add some piercing too! 

 Some simple shading with Copic Greys. 

Here's the up close. Bling, Ribbon, Embossing Folder... still it stayed pretty simple! The card is 4 3/4" Square and opens at the bottom, tent style. I used foam tape under the image to add a little dimension.

11 comments:

  1. Subtle and lovely--and that photograph is wonderful! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beautiful. Love the hint of colouring which really brought the image to life. Gorgeous design.
    Hugs Desíre {Doing Life}

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG live that photo of your dad! Too cute.
    qkk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful card!Love your picture,it is awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenny that pic of your dad just stole the show! Like a moment in time captured perfectly. I don't think I've ever seen a monochromatic colored image but this is wonderful. Looks so vintage and brings back memories for me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love how the card matches the photo! What a great pair!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely gorgeous Jenny,I love all the greys and black and the bling, and you are always so sweet to share how you do your coloring.The picture of your Dad and his brother is PRICELESS, it's the sweetest picture I have seen, thanks so much for sharing it and your wonderful art,have a wonderful day...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing that wonderful picture of your Dad and Uncle! My grandparents had a pump like that on the farm and I loved the always cold, iron tasting water. Your card is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jenny I love the picture of your father and his brother, what a treasure! Love the card you made!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jenny-this is a wonderful card-and connected to such a wonderful memory! That picture is a masterpiece in it's self! Thank you for sharing with us all!

    ReplyDelete