Pages

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Sparkly Ornament Tutorial

 This card is shiny and sparkly in person, but I think it also maintains a clean and elegant look with the white,ivory and gold colors. I used Mirco Fine Glitter embedded in between the gold borders of the ornament die cut. Pictures were difficult due to the shine of the gold paper... so forgive some of the tones being "off" in the pictures. I used Neenah Classic Crest White and Neenah Classic Crest Natural White (ivory) at 110 # weight. I love the feel of a heavier paper, just makes the card feel more substantial. 

 The ornament is a die cut from Serendipity Stamps. Use the die to cut the ornament out of shiny gold card stock. Add a piece of Scor Pal tape to a white piece of card stock, it needs to be a little larger than the size of the ornament die.

Peel off the Scor Pal tape backing and lay the ornament directly on the sticky surface. Trim out the ornament shape, small scissors are better for cutting out smaller items like this.

I used a Picksey Pick Up Tool (toothpick with wax on the end) to pick up the cut out pieces from the top of the ornament and add them back in place.

I used Glitter Ritz Microfine Translucent Warm Glitter, from Elizabeth Craft Designs. Regular glitter will not work as nicely, it is too chunky to lie flat. I dumped a generous portion of the microfine glitter over the ornament. I am using a translucent glitter that has a warm tone highlight. I used my finger and rubbed the glitter in to all the open spots of adhesive, using good pressure to push it in to any open area that had adhesive showing. Tap off the excess glitter, you can use a paintbrush to brush away any stray glitter as well. The Scor Pal tape grabs the glitter very nicely and keeps it on the card. If you have used good pressure to rub it in and cleaned the stray glitter off then the glitter should not rub off from your ornament.

I used a Spellbinder's Die (Petite Scalloped Circles) to frame the ornament. I cut it twice using white and gold card stock. I glued them together so that the color of scallops would alternate at the edge.

Here is a close up pic. You can see the glitter is very fine and is a little more elegant than using a chunkier glitter. The center star element came from the Memory Box Die Cut I used on the inside of the card and I added a clear Swarovski Crystal in the center.

Here is the inside of the card. I used Perfect Layer Rulers to create the 1/16" gold border. I also used a Memory Box Die #98171 Frosty Border to add a little flourish around the edges. I heat embossed the  Warmest Wishes sentiment with Gold Detail EP and Versamark in on the inside of the card.

I heat embossed the Merry Christmas stamp with Gold Detail EP. I used Spellbinder's Grand Squares and Grand Scalloped Squares to create the card base. I added piercing around the edge of the square, using the inside of the die edge to keep me straight. I used a wide white cotton ribbon to create and add a bow at the top of the ornament. You know I do love the bows!

This is the set from Serendipity Stamps, which has the ornamental die cut, a coordinating ornament stamp to match the die, as well as the Merry Christmas stamp. 

Thanks for stopping by my blog! 
Have a wonderful weekend and go stamp something!




13 comments:

  1. So gorgeous! Thanks for sharing directions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the MOST elegant and stunning Christmas card ever! Can't wait it see it in person!

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful. thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jenny, Wow ! I love this gorgeous card ! So elegant with the rich gold and glitter behind it. I'm sure it's even more beautiful in 'real'. Have a great weekend, Shirleyx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful. Lovely colours and embellishments. Hugs Desíre {Doing Life - my personal blog}

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic card - absolutely love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so pretty and glittery Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Elegant and glittery elegance! Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is just beautiful! I love the shine of the gold mirri card, and the glittered bauble, stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous card and awesome tutorial! Thank you! And thanks for visiting my blog and leaving such a nice comment!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Drop dead gorgeous! I don't have anything on you girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so beautiful Jenny, love the pics of how to do it and you can bet I will! If it wasn't sparkly enough with the gold paper, all that glitter...gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete