Pages

Monday, September 3, 2012

Snow Scene from Serendipity

 This has been a great day! I've spent the entire day in my stamp room, coloring, crafting, creating! I have not been able to squeeze a lot of stamp time in lately... so it was overdue! Enjoyed myself thoroughly and plan to go back in and burn a little midnight oil! I always feel more creative at night. This "Snow Shovel" image was in the latest release from Serendipity Stamps and I wanted to color it from the first time I saw it. I love coloring scenes, so it finally got inked up today!
I cut the Frame Die out of TIm Holtz's Kraft Core card stock. After cutting it I used a sanding block to sand down to the kraft core. I cut two more frames out of red and then cut them up gluing them to them to look like an additional layer. 
The Snowflake Die Cuts are new from Impression Obsession and cut easily... love the detail on them. There are three larger snowflakes in the set, to get the small flake I just cut off the edges reducing the size.
 I used the inside of the frame die to trace an outline, stamping my scene in the space, then hand cutting it out. So much easier (IMO) than measuring! After that I hand cut the red layer around it. You can see here the Copics I used to start coloring. The W's are on the rock siding on the bottom of the house. I used BG10 to tint the snow and I also used W1 and W00 in the snow too to add some shadows, but that is difficult to see in the picture, other than on the drive way part. The E40's were used on the house. I used the blender pen to take the hard edge off the BG10 and W's in the snow.

This is the Spellbinder's Die set S5-012 Classic Frames shown below. You can see what I mean now by tracing the inside. That way I knew my image would fit right back in the frame nicely, and like I said, I'll find any short cut to avoid measuring! The SAD news is that this die is discontinued and no longer sold by Spellbinders. You may still be able to find it online in a store that still has remaining stock.

 I finished coloring the scene using the above Copics. I used the Blender again to lightly lift color on the shovel blade and handle, as well as on the tree giving me a little extra shading.
This is the inside of the card, you can see I added a leftover DP strip on the inside. Down in the corner is another little Snowflake Die Cut peeking up in the picture.  I added the sentiment on the inside, stamping in Versafine Crimson Red ink. 
My card was kind of dull in color with the exception of the red. It needed a little something to brighten it up, so I added Distress Stickles - Rock Candy to the window panes and also the snow areas. I love that it adds texture and shine at the same time. I think Glitter would have been too much on this... so the Rock Candy did the job nicely. The frame is popped up with foam tape and the scene sits down below it, flat to the card base. Finished card size is an A2, opening at the bottom, tent style. 

7 comments:

  1. PERFECT card for this scene! The frame, snowflakes and sticklers add just the right touch! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cards always leave me breathless Jenny! This is so lovely! You have the "bestest" die collection too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Jenny, this is beautiful. I love the step by step detail on the great coloring of this detailed image. The red snowshovels are colored so perfectly and I absolutely love how you tinted the snow and added the sticles. This is just a beautiful card. Oh, how I wish I could color a fraction as well as you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so lovely! I love the snow. great job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful... I love all the details especially the frost windows and sparkly snow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving all of that sparkle, Jenny! And the coloring too is spot on!

    ReplyDelete