Pages

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Holiday Stocking... Step by Step Tutorial

Today brings us to a post from Serendipity Stamps
The theme this week was retro or 70's style... and well let's say I'm maybe stretching it and saying patchwork clothes were popular in the 70's... and the stocking is a patchwork design.... therefore it's kinda 70's theme. That's the story I'm going with anyway! I really really wanted to color this image today, so I was coming up with some way to make it work out!
Serendipity’s special is Buy 3 Items Get the 4th one free. 
 The special ends September 12th.  
Check out the other team members and see how they did with the 70's challenge:
Amy -  Miriam - Jeanne - SueHelen - Cathy - Pauline

This stocking was a fun little image to color for a Holiday card. I used traditional colors, but I can see this image could be done in endless color combos or even stamped on pattern paper and then pieced back in, adding to the patchwork style.  I used Spellbinder's Lattice Rectangles to create the card base.
I took pictures along the way... so here's a quick view of how the card came together.

 To create the card base, cut two of the Lattice Rectangles out of 110# card stock. I use a heavier card stock so the card is sturdier, especially along the delicate edges of a die like this. Create a folded card to sandwich in the middle of the two die cuts. I rounded the corners on the inside card as well to match the die. When glueing the panels I used a wet glue (Ultimate Glue) so that I would have a little wiggle room to slide things around and get them lined up correctly. 

Checkerboard Border:  I stamped my image and cut it in to a rectangle to fit the center of the Lattice Rectangles. I glued it to the striped paper with the stripes going horizontally. I then used Perfect Layer Rulers to cut the side borders, using the 1/16" edge.

I glued the panel to the striped paper again, you can see I just adhere a strip at the top, not wasting paper that will be hidden anyway. I used the 1/16 edge again to create the border.


 After cutting the top border you can see that a piece is left hanging, just trim off to the edge.

 Here is the panel after all four sides were cut. It gives the appearance of a checkerboard mat. Neat look that you can create easily using Perfect Layer Rulers and any striped paper. 

I stamped the sentiment and repeated the process above to add the checkerboard layer. I used a smaller die from the Lattice Rectangle set to frame it. I'll add this panel to the inside of the card. 

 Now on to my favorite part of the card... COPICS!
I added a blue halo around the edge using the pictured colors.

E44 on the branch, picking a little up with my 0Blender to add a little shading. These greens are not partners... but the tones were right to match the greens in the pattern paper I was using. I liked the vibrant Holiday Green tone that resulted, am noting these greens to use again for Christmas images.

Final stage of coloring.... I added the reds in to the mix and did some touch ups with the greens. I lightened the greens a bit from the picture above and made them a bit brighter YG25. A little C1 for shading on the white area of the stocking, although it's too light for the pic. Do you see the GLARING white buttons in the center of the stocking... somehow i missed them completely until I was almost finished with the card! I used Y28 to color them, which is not shown in the above picture.

The holly berries got dabs of Viva Red Pearl Pen... adding shine and dimension. A toothpick is the perfect tool to add just a drop in just the right spot!

Here is an up close pic so you can see the finishing touches... I added a blue layer to the image panel and then popped it up on the card base. I added some silver adhesive studs around the edge of the lattice. I added Crackle Accents over the bow and also the little buttons. Since the image had a bow in it, I managed to refrain from adding a ribbon bow of my own, but it was difficult! Finished card is a little shy of an A2, but fits nicely in an A2 envelope. 

Hope you liked seeing the card stepped out in pics! I have another post planned for this Saturday that I have done similarly, with stepped out instructions along with pictures. Leave me a comment if there is something you would like to see more (or less) of from my blog posts.

16 comments:

  1. I'll cut you some slack on this challenge....especially since you were BORN in the 70's! Really, this is a great card with great coloring and instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great way to do the border! And I love the lacy edge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this card! Great way to do the border and the coloring is fantastic! I would be thrilled to receive this holiday card. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. anothergorgeous card!!! your posts are highlights in my week!!! thanks for the border tip.. i really appreciate the detailed pics anddescriptions on how your cards come together

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenny, you are so talented! Your coloring is spectacular and that is not a big enough word to describe it! I love all the step by step instructions, I would love to see more and selfishly, pics of where you put each color before you blended them in. Can you tell I know absolutely nothing about coloring? I love how you made an image you wanted to use "fit" this challenge, and yes, I do remember the patchwork! Beautiful card. Love those shiny accents.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenny, Beautiful coloring - love the step by step tutorial! The striped edge - very cool and wow! Just perfect. Love the shaped die cut card too! So special for the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Love your beautiful Christmas card, and I remember the patchwork. Thank you so much for the step by step on how you made the card, Its beautiful! going back to look at your step by step

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, beautiful card, lovely coloring and border. Cute image!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so pretty. Thank you for sharing how you did it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the way you illustrate your work with the step-by-step photos. Really appreciate you showing your choice of Copics, too--it's an education. Going to buy this image and do like you do.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your card and the step by step instructions! Please don't stop these illustrations as it gives lots of inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! This is absolutely gorgeous!! I love the fancy decorated edges, and the fab tutorial! Beautiful card!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love that cool designer paper border, Jenny! So Neat! And the coloring is just wonderful, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  14. a real beauty... of course I love all the pretty deets you added and that stamp is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Jenny!! WOW is this ever gorgeous!! Love that you showed us each step. Saw this card on Pinterest today (thanks to our lovly Mary) so had to pop over and tell you how gorgeous it is. THANKS for sharing!! I think I "need" those fancy rectangles too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your blog - I just got some copics and amm still learning to use them - your pics are EXTREMELY helpful!

    ReplyDelete