Pages

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Magnolias

I adored the Magnolia Set that Flourishes released a few months ago. I finally had a chance to sit down and color this up. I've seen so many cards using this stamp that have colored the magnolia flowers a pinkish color. Here in the south they are more white/beige. I googled it (love google) and there are pink magnolias, they are beautiful, but I don't think I've ever seen one around here. Beautiful tree but the large leaves drop and make such a mess! 
I used BG90 to add a very soft shadow around the flowers, it's so light it does not show in the picture. I added a lot of color to the flower petals YR30, YR31 and Y28, then I used the blender pen to blot at the edges of the color pushing the color back toward the edges and lifting color in the center of the petals. I used Y17 in the center of the flowers only. The greens on the leaves are G94 and G99. 
I added a mat to the inside using a sentiment from Flourishes Life Lines set.
I started with a white card base, A2 sized. I added an embossed panel with a 1/16" black border (using the Perfect Layer Rulers). Then I added the lattice die cut over that. The die cut is exactly 4 1/4" x 5 1/2" so it fits the A2 card front exactly. I cut the image out with Spellbinder's Labels Four. I hand cut the skinny layer around the image. The image is popped up with a little foam tape. Not a lot of fussing up on this card, I thought the pretty image with the clean black and white in the background made for a simple and striking card.

7 comments:

  1. Just gorgeous. Wishing you a wonderful Wednesday.
    Hugs
    Desíre
    Digistamps4Joy DT Member
    Doing Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that's what a magnolia is supposed to look like! Beautiful coloring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my word...this is just gorgeous...it's the prettiest card I've seen in a long time!
    Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful Jenny. I LOVE this set and you colored those Magnolias perfectly.

    I have lived in the south a couple different times in my life...Magnolias in the south look like the one you colored...here in Iowa we have what they call Saucer Magnolias and they are pink. I actually had a Saucer Magnolia in my yard in Alabama so they must grow there too. :)

    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Jenny this is so gorgeous ! The lattice die cut works so well with the beautiful magnolia. Hope your week is going well, Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jenny - love your card - it is stunning. Here in New Zealand we have both the pink and white Magnolia's..... they are actually totally different flowers and leaves, but the ones on the white are the worst - we have one of those trees next door!!
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wowser Jenny...this is one of your best by far...Absolutely gorgeous. (oh for a minute I thought you were coloring little kid Maggies LOL)

    ReplyDelete