Pages

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Operation Write Home & Copic Coloring Tutorial

I wanted to share a card today that I made for Operation Write Home. OWH is a fantastic organization! They collect hand crafted cards that we make and send in to them.... they package the cards up and send them overseas to our troops. Our Soldiers then have special hand made cards to use when writing home to their loved ones. 
1,615,628 handcrafted cards have been deployed since 2007!
When creating cards for OWH, they have a few guidelines to take in to consideration. Please visit the OWH Website and find out more!
OWH also features challenges and fantastic tutorials regularly on their Blog as well.
So please be sure and check out the OWH Blog - Stars and Stripes.

40% Off Coupon!
The stamps I used today are from Serendipity Stamps and you can shop online with a special discount code! Shop at Serendipity Stamps and just enter the code "40FROMHIGH" during checkout and you'll get 40% off the single highest priced item in your cart.   Coupon expires Monday May 21, 2012. One coupon per customer. 

I chose this great new image from Serendipity Stamps called Mailbox with Wildflowers. I thought a Miss You sentiment with the mailbox would make a good card for someone to send home. I used pattern paper from an older Basic Grey 6x6 Collection - Marrakech

I stamped the mailbox image on Neenah Classic Crest Solar White using Memento Tuxedo Black ink. I used a Spellbinder's Rectangle Nestie to cut out the image. After cutting it out, I left the image in the die and used the inside edge of the die as a guide line to add piercing around the edge. I do use a piece of scotch tape to secure it and keep it from slipping in the die.

Above, you can see I added the piercing all the way around the inside edge, then I removed it from the Spellbinder's die. 

First I used YR00 in upwards strokes from the grass line. Working in vertical strokes again I softened the color going upwards using YR0000. To start on the ground I used a combination of YG61, 63 and 67. These are some of my favorite greens for grass/leaves.

I used Y28 on the wheat looking flowers on the left, just barely touching the paper to add a little color to them. I also used Y28 to add a little touch here and there in the grass. C5 and C2 for the rocks and the mailbox. 

Next came the posts and the flowers. The flowers were so small, not much of an area to blend multiple colors, so I just used small dots of the YR's and then smoothed them together using Y19. E23 and E27 for the mailbox posts. 

Final steps in coloring... I used Y28 again and added little touches to the mailboxes, to give them a more weathered outdoorsy look. I smoothed the colors on the mailbox with C2 and C00. I used Y0000 to dab at the grass and the wood posts.... removing color is small spots, giving it a bit of texture. 

The cards for OWH need to all be uniform in size... standard A2, 4 1/4" x 5 1/2". The white folded card opens at the bottom tent style. The orange strip at the bottom is 1 1/4" x 4 1/4". The blue quilt pattern paper is 4" x 4 1/4". I used a Memory Box die, Meridian Border, to cover the seam where the two papers meet. The pattern papers dont quite reach to the top/bottom of the card base, leaving a small white border exposed. 

I used Perfect Layer Rulers to add small 1/16" layered mats to the image and then framed it with the scalloped rectangle nestie. I popped the image with foam tape and added a few small pearl embellishments. I skipped my usual bow on every card today, due to OWH's suggestion that the cards should not be to bulky for mailing purposes.


5 comments:

  1. Just beautiful. Love everything about it. Thanks for the mini tutorial.
    Hugs
    Desíre
    DS4J DT Member
    Doing Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jenny....this is gorgeous. That YR glow in the background of the image is pure gorgeousness! Love the warm feeling to this card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this one too ! Great colours again !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty, love the colors & the papers. Cool technique for the piercing.

    ReplyDelete