Pages

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Flourishes Hanging Ornament

 The challenge over at Flourishes this week was to try out the Double Embossing Technique. Click on the link to read all the details and rules for the Flourishes Timeless Tuesday Challenge #143. The technique was one I had never done... so I thought it would be fun to try it out... and I loved the look of cards that the Flourishes Gals were showcasing! Here is a link to the Double Embossing Technique.

NOW for the bad part...... I could not get the technique to work as shown in the tutorial. I have a Grand Calibur and a Big Kick Die cutting machine and I (despite seven attempts) failed to get it right with these machines. The technique is shown with a Big Shot machine... so perhaps that is my issue. So I kind of cheated to achieve the desired result. I cut the middle panel out, embossed it with a CB folder and then taped it back in place using tape on the backside. I also created an embossed frame with the same nestie shapes to cover up my cheating ways on the final card.
 You can see here the cut lines where I cheated and replaced the stamped panel. I used Spellbinder's Labels 17. I colored the image with Copics and I also stamped a second ornament to pop up over the first to add a little dimension. The bow tails actually spread out a little wider on the stamp but since they are flexible I bent them in to fit in the nestie shape.
When I added my frame topper, I edged the sides with a black marker to help the edges stand out a little bit. I also put my nestie back in place around the ornament panel and outlined a simple black frame. I used Perfect Layer Rulers to add a 1/16" black edge mat to the embossed panel. I did curve the second stamped ornament and adhered it with Dimensional Silicone. My card is an A2 and tent style, opening at the bottom. I covered the entire front of the card with DP from Lily Bee's 6x6 pad Memorandum

8 comments:

  1. Another gorgeous creation...even if you cheated! LOL...this is a very detailed technique, but oh so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheater cheater pumpkin eater...how funny you confessed to your cheat...I would have just posted and been as quiet as a mouse but as you know I am a diva.
    Great work Jenny but next time don't tattletale on yourself. Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad it finally came together for you! I think lots of people have to cheat on this one....Beautiful card.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful card. I don't think it was 'cheating' but that you created your own new technique ! The effect is very cool ! Thx for all the details, they are appreciated !

    ReplyDelete
  5. So elegant, Jenny! Love how you layered your ornament too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Jenny! This is so gorgeous!! I love the inverted ornament and your take on the double embossing! Thank you for playing along at the FTTC.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL...you rocked the challenge regardless! I think it's gorgeous and the ornament looks fabbo too! Thanks for palying along with us....see ya soon!!! Hugs ~S~

    ReplyDelete