Pages

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Autumn Chair

This week the Serendipity DT has an inspiration picture to work with for today's challenge. 
 Check out what the team came up with and where they took inspiration from to design their card: Amy - Anya - Kathie - Miriam - Linda 
 I took inspiration from the oranges and the wooden platter, trying to bring the orange color and wood theme in to my card. I had fun trying a new technique with the background.
 Here are the Copics I used for my image. The four markers grouped together at the top were the ones I used to shade in the background. Before I took the oval out of the Nestie, I used the inside edge of the die as a guide to add my stitch marks with a fine tip brown pen.
 To create the background panel I used Distress Inks (Peeled Paint, Spiced Marmalade and Brushed Corduroy) and the blender tool to add random color to a white piece of paper. I did use 110# paper so that it would be nice and strong even after absorbing the ink. 
My next step was to emboss the inked up panel with a wood grain CB Folder. After it was embossed, I used the blending tool to apply a darker ink (Walnut Stain) over the entire panel. While this did darken the background slightly, it mainly emphasized all the embossed lines. This picture above shows the finished panel. I saw an example of this technique (done much better than mine, lol!) at Laura Fredrickson's blog in this post. I definitely want to play around more with this technique and next time will pick a smaller main image to showcase the background a bit more.
  • Stamps: #1224H Autumn Chair by Serendipity Stamps
  • Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Distress Inks
  • Paper: Neenah Classic Crest White, Brown, Orange
  • Other: Ranger Ink Blending Tool, Bow Easy Tool, Perfect Layers Rulers, CB Wood Grain Folder, Spellbinder's Ovals and Scalloped Oval Nesties, Misc. Ribbon

4 comments:

  1. This is wonderful and a fantastic idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! Love the wood grain it really makes this card a standout!

    ReplyDelete