Pages

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Something fishy...

I thought this little fishy would make a cute summertime "hi" for someone. This weekend I was asked what my process is to make a card so I thought I would share that today. I usually pick the image first. Then I scrounge though my patterned paper stash to see what grabs my eye and might pair up nicely with my stamp choices. I use the printed paper as my guide to choose corresponding colors of card stock that will serve to create the remaining layers and card base. Next I will color the image. I use my paper choices to determine what color markers/pencils I use, trying to match colors as closely as I am able. Then I sort of plan out the card base... this is always changing though! A few friends that have seen me make a card from start to finish can vouch for this! I will arrange, rearrange and change! So the original idea sometimes evolves to a completely different card in the end! I have to say that is my favorite part! This card was actually a bit of an accident.... I had planned on stacking all the die cut circles in a nice neat round way. BUT when they were all heaped together on the desk... I thought it looked kind of interesting... so I heaped them on the card in the same disorderly way!
 You can see here the Copics I chose to color the little fishy. I airbrushed the circle first using B04. I tried to lightly airbrush the color, airbrushing from higher than I normally would. I am way too lazy to mask all the elements in the image, lol. And I thought the other colors would be able to go over the lighter blue with out a problem. After I airbrushed the blue, I used an old washcloth and the Copic Blender Solution to dab away some of the color, leaving a slightly mottled watery look. Then I added color to the fish and weeds. 
On the little air bubbles I added a touch of Glossy Accents to give a hint of shine. You can see I went crazy with the polka dot Embossing Folder... and layering all the Nesties... lol! I used a white gel pen to add some faux stitching around the first orange layer. Foam tape adds dimension between each of the piled up circle elements. The little "Hi" was popped up using dimension silicone. I added a dab to the back, kissed it to the paper and raised it up so it actually "floats" a little bit. 
Boy.... I was really wordy today.... did I put you to sleep... anyone still reading??? If you popped over here from the tease on the Impression Obsession Blog, well I hope I haven't scared you away!!! 

12 comments:

  1. I love the heaping of the circles too! Fantastic colors and great explanation of your building process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool!! Love all your bubble layers!! I plan my cards out the same way. Once, I stamped the inside, and then changed my layout to horizontal instead of vertical...LOL, just had to make a layer for the sentiment on the inside! Fabulous card, I love your little fishy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what you did with this stamp! I love him!! Those eyes and the whole card are just fantastic! Once again and right on, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is adorable! I love the way you layered all the circles. So fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This lil' fishy looks like his is in need of a friend LOL! A great sentiment to add with this cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fabulous card Jenny. Love that image and your coloring. The circle elements are perfect. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great card! I love the stamp -- you did great coloring on him. I love all the bubble layers too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a Super card! Love the image and all those embossed layers. Just Wonderful!

    Hugs!
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love, your coloring is perfection. Great layering!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful card! I forgot to comment on Thursday. I love your layers and white doodle stitching! Thank you for sharing!

    Katie B.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fun card - I love that little fish! Your circles are perfect with that paper. Nice (albeit wordy for you) explanation of your process...always interesting to hear how that creative little brain of yours works! Emphasis on creative, not little... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cute. Love the fish and love hearing your 'thinking out loud' process! Still reading and still awake at the end : )!

    ReplyDelete