Pages

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Zentangles!


Have you heard of Zentangles? 
.... above is a full page of Zentangles I created. I worked on these while watching TV. I started with a blank piece of paper 8 1/2 x 11" and just drew using a black Micron pen..... repeating patterns, connecting them, watching new patterns emerge sparked by my imagination or a pattern I saw in something around me. Each one unique and ever changing with a stroke of the pen. I do think it's helpful (for me anyway) to have some kind of starting point. On this page, I used a round CD and traced overlapping large circles to give me some edges to start with. There are several methods to creating these and you can be symmetrical, working in a defined pattern or free and wild with the pen and see where it takes you! I have always been a doodle girl, be it on a message pad or my (long ago) school notebooks..... I have been playing with these for awhile and also incorporating them in with stamped images. So more is to come.... I'm hooked. Not sure what kind of project this page will evolve into... time will tell, but for now I just liked to look at it propped  up on my desk. In all I think I have a little under of seven hours invested in this.... again while watching TV shows.

 I pulled this tidbit from the Zentangle website to better explain this new form of fancy doodling! Check out their website or just google "zentangles" and look at the images that pop up - amazing!

What is Zentangle?

Zentangle is an easy to learn method of creating beautiful images from repetitive patterns. It is a fascinating new art form that is fun and relaxing. It increases focus and creativity. Zentangle provides artistic satisfaction and an increased sense of personal well being. Zentangle is enjoyed by a wide range of skills and ages and is used in many fields of interest.
We believe that life is an art form and that Zentangle is an elegant metaphor for deliberate artistry in life. Explore our web site and learn how you can use this wonderful and uplifting discovery.
The Zentangle® art form and method was created by Rick Roberts and Maria Thomas. Zentangle® is a registered trademark of Zentangle, Inc. Learn more at zentangle.com.

20 comments:

  1. WOW!Love this artwork.You should have this framed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny, your zentangle is AWESOME! I've watched them being created on a few episodes of the BYU Scrapbook Memories show and thought they'd be interesting to try. Your 'tangles' turned out incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just beautiful! I'm thinking background for a card! Or frame it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just beautiful! I'm thinking background for a card! Or frame it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi Jenny! I HAVE SEEN these and LOVE them! Glad to see somebody is doing them...I plan on trying it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sensational love zentangles so relaxing its amazing where the pen goes and yours is magical.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very beautiful. Would make wonderful background paper also. Better than a lot I've seen for sale. You should contact one of the paper manufactures and see if they're interested. I love to doodle also, so this is interesting to me. Edna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seriously??? You drew that? OMG...no wonder your faux stitching is always so perfect...you're the real deal. I have thought the world of you since the first day I met you, but now I'm completely in awe. Wow...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I first saw these about a month or so ago on a blog I visited for WOYWW (Liverpool Anne I think) They are simply amazing...I dont have the patience but love looking at yours LOL! Love the circular feel to this one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW!!! I could stare at this forever. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jenny,
    This is certainly a WOW moment. Look at the detail, truly amazing and beautifully executed. I wonder how much TV you saw, you would have to be concentrating to achieve this. TFS.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, I'd never heard of these. Amazing! Super cool!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Greetings from Buffalo, NY! This is awesome, Jen!! What a great idea for a background stamp or digital paper. I see a new career direction for you...you are so creative! Thanks for sharing, debbie

    ReplyDelete
  14. I want to take this class! I don't think mine could look like yours, but it would be fun.
    qkk

    ReplyDelete
  15. And the girl says she can't draw...seriously!?! This is AMAZING! Yes, I'm also thinking digital paper and background stamp. Along with your handwriting, which always looks like artwork, too.

    Crafty Dog

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is unbelievable (and better than any that are shown on the site you mentioned!) I've always been a doodler too...in fact I've been messing around with some doodles on ATC's - cool to see a more organized way to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my gosh, this is incredible and quite beautiful. I can't wait to see how you use this in your cards. Just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jenny, this is beautiful! It should be framed and hung in a prominent place so everyone could ohh and ahh over it. I showed it to my DD. She couldn't believe someone did it from scratch. Then she asked if you could teach her how to do it. :) Don't worry, though...I put that thought right out of her mind. ;)

    ReplyDelete