Pages

Saturday, November 14, 2009

OCC Challenge - A Postcard from the Edge...

This week the OCC has a interesting Challenge to get your creativity jump started. Use this picture as Inspiration or a Sketch to create your card or project.
For a close up view on the OCC's great projects for this week please visit the OCC Ladies on their blogs -Silke Ledlow, Jennifer Meyer, Loretta Lock , Joycelyn Turner, Cindy Burgess, Dana Grothaus, Linda Coughlin, Lori Rider, Melissa Young, and Wendy Janson
-----------------------
So here is my challenge card -- It is a definite departure from my normal style! I was inspired to use a Postcard Stamp and then... well I heaped it on from there!!! I took some pictures as I created - so you could see some of the steps in creating this.
I first created my card base using the Post Card stamp to create the background. I then stamped it once again on Kraft, cutting it out to use as part of the collage. I wanted to use a "Miss You" theme with my postcard -- could I find a stamp in my room that said that???.... NO, and I know I have several if not many!!! So.... I customized my own stamp using the JustRite products. The Postage and Typewriter paper pieces are from Graphic 45.

You can see here how I aged my stamped pieces.... I first sponged ink around the edges of each piece. Then I used that "Splatter" looking stamp to add some interest -- kind of looks like aged water spots, I think. When I stamped the "Splatter" I used second, third and fourth generations of inking to give it lighter, medium and darker spots.

My dirty little bow.... I had some Ivory Silk ribbon, which was way too bright and sweet looking now that I had dirtied everything else up! So I just ran it over the Ink pad to make it more suitable to my card's theme. I wanted to add this little charm in the middle... I first tied my triple bow with the Bow Easy. Then I threaded the ribbon through the eyelet on the back of the charm. Leaving my Bow intact on the Bow Easy, I then tied the charm ribbon to it in the center of the Bow Easy legs, tying it off in a simple knot in the back of the bow. This created two additional bow tails as well.

Here is a Close Up pic of this unusual creation that I made. I fussed it up a little more by adding some buttons and pearls in a heap type pile. The Flowers were also a little more bright red than I liked, so I darkened the petals and centers using a Copic Marker. The thread was left over from sewing on the buttons, so I just glued that down too!!! I will tell you before I glued everything down -- I am sure I moved every element at least ten times. Finished card size is an A2.

  • Stamps: Splatter #2240G by Hampton Arts, Passport #2825B by Rubber Stampede, Carte Postal #485J22 by All Night Media, JustRite Oval Stamper and Trompe Font
  • Ink: Versafine Onyx Black, Versafine Sepia Brown
  • Paper: Red DP by Basic Grey "Boxer Collection", Kraft, Black, Neenah Peppercorn Ivory, Graphic 45
  • Other: Copic marker, Charm, Button, Silk Ribbon, Bow Easy Tool, Misc. Flowers, Pearl Hat Pin, Misc. Pearls, Embroidery Floss, Spellbinder's Label Eight, Black 1/16" Rainbow Tape

17 comments:

  1. WoW! Lots of elements on this card, but it works! Love the way you antiqued everything. I still can't believe you are sewing on the buttons. Perhaps you're taking the "domestic goddess" thing too far?

    Sue P youknowwhereimfrom

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh I keep looking at all the details...this would be so great in a heritage album.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOu have the BEST stash evah, and I wish I lived next door!!! Gorgeous, inspired card, Jenny!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm dizzy reading all about this card and all your steps - a novel is right! Since I'm not into BROWN, grunge, shabby shiek, and all that collage stuff, all I can give you this time is an A+++ for effort! After that, send the card to a 2nd hand store..... (LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So neat - all your details and the bow is awesome!

    I love it! It's different than your normal, so that proves one thing - you CAN do it all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW WOW WOW!!!!!! This is just stunning!! Love everything about it!! all the detail is just amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like this!! I don'tknow how in the world you so easily put that charm in the bow! Love the way you aged it all...it's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous card Jenny - the layout is amazing and WOW I LOVE the vintage pieces.

    So glad you are feeling better! Hugs, Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is fantastic, Jenny. It looks like a WHOLE lot of work! I love the way you matted all the main pieces with black. I think it defines the pieces so they look like they go together and makes the collage look "neat"--is that an oxymoron? I cannot pull this look off so I'm envious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT - Jenny!!! You really rocked this challenge...love your layout and design!!! Clever girl you!!! Hugs ~S~

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW! Collage! You did it! Great job and I love all the graphic 45 elements. MLN

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow, this is truly gorgeous. I so love the vintage style and the collaged effect. So much detail to feast one's eyes on.
    Hugs
    Desire

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love all the layers and the vintage look of this post card - it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely vintage lovely! Your embellishments for it are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous job on this challenge, Jenny. Of course, you knew I would LOVE it - LOL!! Great little tutorial you put together also. You rocked this challenge!!

    ReplyDelete