Pages

Monday, August 31, 2009

Lazy Days of Summer

Despite the INTENSE color I chose for this Summer card, there is not a lot of elements to it. I stamped the scene in Versafine Onyx Black. The scene just screamed out to me to use these intense warm colors. Is is too much? I cut out the scene using my Spellbinder's Labels One. I masked a circle for the Sun and masked off the words along the bottom. Then I airbrushed, and airbrushed, and airbrushed until I was satisfied, layering my colors from the top down. I think this would be a fab image to brayer over too, but you know I am still hopelessly brayer challenged. To create the sun - I used the reverse portion of my mask to cover the scene (so I only saw the circle for the sun) and I airbrushed again, keeping the deeper color heavier on the left side. I added a little crystal lacquer over the left side of the sun. I added a curved line of the lacquer along the sun's left edge, then used a toothpick flat against the paper to drag it towards the center of the sun, stopping about half way. It just seemed to need something, and I liked the way it finished it. The Crystal Lacquer seemed to give it a little texture and depth. I removed the mask covering the words and used the same Copic Colors to airbrush layered colors along the bottom. I added the little black ribbon securing it in each corner with a brad. I had an ugly place in the lower right corner where the ribbon ends showed -- so I covered it up with a flower, blinged it up in the center and added a dollop of Lacquer to keep all my little gems neatly in their place. And of course I could not stop myself from added some dots with an Orange Souffle pen and some black stitching marks around the edges. I am addicted to doodles. Whew. I said there was not a lot of elements to this card, and there isn't. But I guess I was feeling wordy today. Anyone out there stick with it and read this entire post??? Besides my stepmother?

31 comments:

  1. I read every word! What a beautiful card and what beautiful detail work you put into this. TFS and thanks for a trip down memory lane to more carefree days!
    Ad K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great airbrushing and colors are just right (not too bright).

    Whew! You know it read every word. :-) Trying to glean all I can from your pointers.

    Sue P Snellville, GA

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this, the fall colors are gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, I did!! Am glad I did, too. I love the instructions on how you did the sun. It is gorgeous! The colors are so warm and 'harvesty'...is that a word? Anyway, thanks for sharing the deets. Enjoyed your post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow!! This is stunning! just so striking! I love the colour combo and the effect you hace created with the airbrush! Just gorgeous! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! WOW! WOW!! What an absolutely gorgeous card....stunning scene!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the airbrush job! I read ALMOST every word...Great Ferris wheel too. MLN

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are you channeling me, there, Miss Chatty Kathy?? :-) Beautiful card - love the colors and that image is great. Wonderful airbrushing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Read every delicious word. Love the sun and the detail you added to your creation. Brayering IS alot harder than it looks, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is absolutely amazing! I am very envious of your "airbrushing skills", simply phenomenal! Do you use a compressor with your Copics?

    TFS your talent!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not too much, just perfect! I love the colors for that particular stamp.

    Missed you at Sunday's classes, they were great.

    QKK

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes - every word! Always! I'm baaack - been in Mass. for a couple of months with no internet and barely working phones. Ahhhh, the blessings of country living! Anyway, I love the coloring job and thought the crystal lacquer explanation was fascinating. How do you think up all this great stuff??? Beautiful job, as always

    ReplyDelete
  13. POW WOW fabulous perfect colours we may not get hot summers in the UK (well not in recent years) but remember its colour! Wonderful every last hot drop.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is just one of the most beautiful cards I've ever seen! WOW! All of the details and the airbrushing...it's breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This card is stunning! When I saw this card, I had to stop and read everything...I am going to have to give airbrushing a try...goodness this stamp is just amazing and how you used it just makes my little heart "flutter" and yearn for my stamp room.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is divine. The color is so vibrant and rich and I that image is fabulous. Yes, I read all the way to the end of the post. Great card.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I read it all! Well worth the read too. Thanks to you I am going to pull out the airbrush, that I've never used. Everything about this card is fab.
    Sharon L

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks too hot to deal! But it's a gorgeous card...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely gorgeous and you are a genius with technique! We have some fun amusements parks and fairs here in SW Missouri and this makes me think of the waning days of summer going into fall. Amazingly touching!

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  20. I read every word! thanks for sharing your techniques. It does remind me of these late hot August days...way back when there was an amusement park in Panama City Beach!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! this is simply gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Not too much at all, this is an absolutely stunning card. I am curious how long this little baby took you to make....because it looks like it took days! I want to go to the fair, get some Kettle corn, hop on the ferris wheel and then look hit the rodeo. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this card. It reminds me of growing up in Coney Island and going on the Wonder Wheel in the evening. The coloring is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yes, I read every word and this card is absolutely fabulous. I love the intense color you achieved with your airbrush. Great job! Love all the dots and stitches you added, it really finishes the card off nicely! Wonderful card, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  25. i love the picture of the ferris wheel on this card. the fall colors are perfect. i love it! CT

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is just stunning! Reminds me of those long summer nights at carnival! You're amazing Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  27. WOW!! I just LOVE this! The colours are amazing, and the stamps, gorgeous! You put it all together so beautifully! Thank you for sharing!
    :)
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh wow, Jenny this is stunningly beautiful. Love the silhoette stamping and your intense colouring.
    Hugs
    Desire

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow. This is an amazing card. I love the colors, the scene, the ribbon frame. It takes me to our State Fair held at the end of August through Labor Day weekend. TFS.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow! Amazing card. I LOVE the colors!

    ReplyDelete