Pages

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Green Eyes and Whiskers!

I found a new Challenge site called, Ready - Set - Stamp.... I saw my IO DT pal Dina's card for the challenge and when the first item of the challenge called for a cat image - -well, I was sold. So an interesting thing about this new Challenge site -- they specifically say NO cute cards! I seem to be doing lots of cute lately, so good for me to get out of the cute stuff for a day. Also, packed in to this challenge was a new technique for me! I'm stepping out of the box all over the place today!
---------------------------------------------------

So the challenge was five parts as follows:

  1. The theme was "Cat"
  2. You had to use Black and Gold
  3. You had to use three different (shape or color) brads
  4. You had to use a Faux Batik Technique - They have a tutorial with pics on how it's done.
  5. You had to use a Book page or Newsprint

I have always wanted to try this technique, but as it calls for the use of an Iron, it was not high on the list for me. I had to hunt the iron down. My DH actually knew what closet it was hiding in! I never did find the Ironing Board. If you don't know me personally let me clue you in.... The last time I had to "find" the iron was 7 years ago. My Aunt had flown in for a Party and wanted to iron her outfit before the evening. I don't know if she was more shocked or horrified that I had to "find" the iron, as in what closet could it be shoved in??? Let's just conclude with the fact that I'm not the ironing, cooking, sewing, domestic kind of gal!

So moving along to the card... I had fun trying something new. Let me also fess up and say I did not make the golden knot.... It was purchased. The cord ends were actually all stuck together nice and uniform, but I thought they would mirror the cat whiskers if I broke them apart. I added some teeeeeny green crystals for kitty eyes. The fun border is from the last Spellbinder's Release of Pendants and Borders. Loving those! My page is from Gone with the Wind, so if you look close you can see Scarlet and Ashley on the pages! So, I think this met the non-cute, five item challenge and it was great to try out something new for a change. No copics!!

  • Stamps: Kitty#3 by Coronado Island
  • Ink: India Black Ink, Versamark, Clear Embossing Powder
  • Paper: DP from Gone with the Wind!!!, Canvas DP, Gold, Black
  • Other: an IRON, Golden Knot, Crystals and Pearls, Gold Gel Pen, Spellbinder's Lattice Borderabilities, Circle Punches

36 comments:

  1. I dunno, Jen, this is awfully cute, I must say... *shaking head*

    *grins* It's a fanTAStic card, too. I'm kinda confused about where the faux batik is, but I'll go look on the site. And I love what you did to the knot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Beauty! Love the news print and your embellishments on the left - quite a card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. superfab!! Love the image, colors and esp the print paper. MLN

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is cute yet elegant how did you do that LOL love it
    Hugs
    Norine
    thanks so much for visiting my blog and leaving such nice comments

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really nice card - love that cat and it looks especially nice using this technique.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay - good for you! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous artwork w/loads of flair!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy toledo...that's a whole long list...you nailed it for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There are other uses for an iron besides papercrafts? HA!

    LOVE your card. It's beautiful and not cute at all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a gorgeous crad... I love the design and how you have put all the elements together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this card! I love that image and the gold knot, fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW!! This is fantastic! Brilliant job! katxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is lovely, and you have some good stuff on your slide show too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is stunning! Glad RSS inspired you !! thanks for playing
    isa

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE IT
    LOVE IT
    LOVE IT

    QKK

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is lovely!! Great take on the ingredients!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow ! fantastic card !
    kiki :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Absolutely gorgeous and very elegant, I would not use "cute" to describe it. I think you met the challenge wonderfully. Great design, Jen, it looks like a winner to me!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love it! My first thought on those cord ends was "cat whiskers!" so you totally did the right thing breaking them apart and the knot is a wonderful accent, might have to have a go at one of those!

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW...
    This is what making cards is all about.
    I JUST LOVE IT.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fabulous design Jenny, I LOVE the cat image and beautiful design!!

    Hugs, Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love it ! Is the cat on the banner your design ? It will be a nice rubber stamp ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love it.
    Thanks for playing.
    Elisa

    ReplyDelete
  24. A beautiful card, love the cat, and I love how you have mimicked the whiskers in the knot ends.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, what FUN! I love what you did with that printed paper - ADORABLE!

    ReplyDelete
  26. a beautiful card !I love !
    Hil scrap-hil.over-blog.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love your card!!!!very great work!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. So much detail it is a challenging challeng but you have it down pat, beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  29. this is stunnning! I love your cat! Love your take on the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  30. love your feline and the knot is a great accent

    ReplyDelete