Pages

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Shabby Train


I had to have this set immediately when I saw it in the SU catalog.... a year ago. Then I found this perfect paper last fall from Graphic 45. I am just now getting a card made with it. I love this train image. I inked it up with Baja Breeze first then pounced some black ink over that to get the multi colors on my image. I cut it out with my Spellbinder's Labels Small, and added a few doodles around the edge. I lightly airbrushed some Grey around the train while it was still in the Nestie. Then I matted it to the grey and pulled out the needle and stitched some Skinny jute string around the border. I meant it to be random and uneven -- just in case you were
thinking my sewing was really really bad!!! I added the kraft paper behind the image as the final layer and roughed up the edges with my scissors, adding to the shabby feel. I am showing off pics of the inside and the envelope as well.... This is the PERFECT way to use the scraps from your card creations. I often will line the envelopes with the remaining DP, but I saw a card from my Step-Mother where she added the edge of DP on the envelope and really liked it. So I copied her idea! Thanks Barb! Finished card is 5 3/4" Square.
  • Stamps: Friends Word Block by Hero Arts # c3002, Train Image by SU "Happiness is a Journey" Set
  • Ink: Baja Breeze, Black
  • Paper: Train DP by Graphic 45 "I think I can" #450037, Baja Breeze, Neenah Environment Ivory, Gray, Kraft
  • Other: Photo Corners Punch by SU, Spellbinder's Labels Small, Skinny Natural Jute from Sharon, Buttons by SU

20 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh Jenny, this is positively fabulous! Boy does it resonate with me. Both my boys loved trains when they were small. My house was filled with trains. I did a beautiful cross stitched train for Daniel that still hangs in his room. I'll have to take a picture of it and send it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great card love the DP matches perfect
    Hugs
    Norine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow Jenny, this card is amazing! I love how you've used two ink colours on the image and your distressing and sewing is awesome! That paper is perfect and the strip on the envelope really adds a fantastic finishing touch! Great work.
    Hugs, Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you put the train paper on the diagonal, makes it much more interesting! Great color scheme too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You always the PERFECT dp to go with your images! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That train paper is fabbie! Great card. You are so good at carrying a theme through out your cards that makes them really come together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jenny. I just had to comment on this card. It is just fabulous! I really, really like it!! I by no means a train enthusiast, but I would love to receive this card in the mail. Great job!!!
    Denise M

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic card!! My father and father-in-law both worked for a railroad. Growing up I was around trains alot and still do. Whenever a special train went through town my dad would want to go wait for it, so I would pack up my kids and go with him. Brings back such great memories. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. love how you did the 2 tone train...wonderful details!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW!!! That paper, along with the image, is awesome! So dang cute, I just love the colors. You did a great job (as usual) with the whole shebang!

    ReplyDelete
  11. this card is absolutely WONDERFUL! i love your stitching, and that vintage feel. just fab, jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, another "I'm going to make Karen spend money" card! I loved this set when I first saw it too, especially because my third son has always loved trains. But, I couldn't quite picture it done up. Now you've pushed me over with this incredible card. Thank you for sharing your wonderful ideas. This is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oooh!! I just LOVE this, Jenny!! WOW...your image looks fantastic with this DP!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a cool image and a great guy card! Love the shabby look and the gray/blue combination is fabulous. And more tips, very neat idea to add the border to the envelope. I would if I ever sent any cards out. Great card, Jenny.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is one gorgeous card! I would not have thought to use baja breeze and black on the train stamp - it's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful combination of image and paper! Love your shabby train card and how you added the strip of dp on the envelope. A great idea from your step-mother!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that image...and it works perfectly with the shabby look!! Love your fabulous stitch-work and buttons too!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOW...that paper is a fantastic match! Very nice card.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is just stunning Jenny. Love that stamped image of the train. Gorgeous design. And thanks for sharing the tip on finishing off the envelope with the left over cardstock pieces. Hugs from Desire

    ReplyDelete