Pages

Friday, May 15, 2009

Three Scoops, Please!

This was one of those cards that was a struggle from start to finish. It has been in the works for three days on my desk... Not that I have worked on it for three days.... I have a real job too! It started out as a sweet, simple little ice cream cone card -- I knew I was going to pair it up with the perfect background paper from Basic Grey, so I thought the paper issue was taken care of and I would zip right through and have a card ready to post lickity split! Not so. I should have thrown it away at the first sign of trouble and hit the road for some real ice cream! I went round and round and round trying to make a card that I liked enough to post. Still not sure how I feel about how it turned out, but here it is anyway. I could not invest one more minute or I would have gone nuts. I don't think they allow scissors and xacto knives for crafting in the nut house, so I am keen to stay out for as long as I can. So here is the SCOOP....

Scoop #1
There are so many color choices you could use -- pulling out any of the primary colors from the DP. So I picked several papers and got to it... Every color I chose looked weird, just didn't go. It took me until Day 3 to remove all the other colors that were clashing and junking it up and just have the DP and red, with the two neutrals as ivory and brown, sounds so simple now, but trust me I went the whole rainbow of color choices before it dawned on me -- take the colors away!

Scoop #2
The Ivory and Red Cuttlebug Panel - I know there are several techniques out there of how to do this and get the same result. But I wanted to share my tip with you. I have a very heavy hand when I stamp, so doing something with a light touch is not always easy for me... Which brings me to why the Brayer and I are not friends. We just don't mix well, the brayer and I. So when at a past stamp show I saw this little cute baby sized brayer and felt like I must have it... I honestly had no idea why, cause again -- I don't like the brayer. And my friends (you know who you are!) made fun of me for buying this -- seeing no value in a small brayer for me or for any purpose, saying a regular brayer does the job just fine. WELL.... let me tell you -- I love this little baby brayer, and we are great friends... baby steps to the big brayer, maybe??? I had my cuttlebugged paper and I used the cute baby brayer to apply Very Vanilla craft ink to the cuttlebugged paper. It is so small and light that it only inks the raised portions, and for some reason works a million times better for me. I used a little pressure to roll it, but it is so tiny - it seems hard to apply too much to it. AND unlike the big brayer it did not leave ink where I did not want it. AND it cleaned up with a baby wipe in about two seconds. So maybe others have made this little baby brayer discovery and I am late to the party, but I had to share this with you as I was so happy with the absolute ease and results of using the smaller size.

Scoop #3
OK -- here's the last tip I'll share. If anyone is still reading my rambling post. Hellllooooo? You still with me out there? The bow.. it's a funny looking little bow, perfect but imperfect. Of course, I used the bow easy to make it. But I had this 1" sheer Ivory ribbon that I had picked out. It was too wide for my card and image. So I twisted it up like a rope before using it in the bow easy. After the twisty bow was tied I untwisted the tails and un-raveled the bow loops a bit-- so they are puffy and awkward but kind of fun looking compared to a normal little looped bow. I also folded the ribbon in half to wrap around the card base too.

17 comments:

  1. Whew....aren't we Miss Chatty Krafty Kat today?? ;-)

    Very cute card - glad you only used the red, ivory and brown. I can see where it could have gotten to be too much very quickly! I have that same DP but have yet to use it since I don't have an ice cream cone stamp image for it...hint,hint...;-)

    Excellent tip on the sheer ribbon bow - I'll have to give that a go.

    And now I have a reason to pull my little brayer that I've had for years and never use....thanks!

    Looking forward to seein' ya tomorrow with your golden lights non-crown!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely fabulous Jenny, I so love your designs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all the lovely Scoops Jenny. The card the details and the humorous commentary made for a fun read. Now I have to see if I have a little brayer somewhere hiding. And I really have to find some Ice Cream! Talk about enabling...:D

    Glad you worked your way through the challenge. I bet you never forget that subtraction lesson either!

    Hugs from a sister stamper - Jean

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey great tips, and I do like the way the card turned out!! You're so smart... =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenny, what a gorgeous card and thank you so very much for the tips. I bought one of those mini brayers almost two years ago and used it for one technique that I wanted to try and have not used it since. Gotto get the dust off of it and use it again. Hugs, Sabrina

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great card! Love the ice cream image and the great colors. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you have waaaaaay more company in the brayer-challenged department than you think! I must try to find a mini one like that - I do pretty much everything more efficiently in miniature. LOVE the perfect, poufy bow! Especially love that you had the foresight to know we'd want to duplicate and need to know how and you shared that with us! Wonderfulness all around, and thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great card...you are always creative with your sentiments too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jenny,

    What a treat it's so sweet, love the bow and the cuttlebuged panel.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jenny, I think this card's beautiful! I love the way it came out. You're being over-critical of yourself. Love it! Now, go have an ice cream!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ummmm.... can you say yummy!! Sweet card Jenny, LOVE it!!

    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Jenny, you always leave me speechless, and breathless at the same time. How do you ever think up all this wonderfulness???? Love all the scoops and tips, plus the bow looks fab. I'm blown away, as always. Terrific job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have no idea how glad I am to hear that you sometimes struggle with a card. I have to tell you, I certainly wouldn't have thought that with this card. It looks fantastic. In fact, before I even read your note I said to myself that I didn't think I'd be able to use the ice cream paper. Then to hear that you struggled with it...was good confirmation that I'm not totally challenged at times!

    Regardless, I enjoyed reading your entire post and reading about your tips. Fantastic. And encouraging. =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry you struggled with this one. I think the result is rustic and cool looking! Great color job and color combos.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow!! jenny I love love love this card!!! Fabulous!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Adorable! Love the dimension on the Ice Cream Cone!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great card! And what a wonderful idea to use the brayer on the embossed design. Can't wait to try that technique. Thanks for sharing all your fabulous tips! And I love the base color you chose for this card, just perfect!

    ReplyDelete