Pages

Sunday, May 31, 2009

My Craft Room

Saturday I went in to my craft room to get going on some cards.... 10 hours later I was done cleaning and semi-organizing. I had so many piles of stuff and things stashed here and there, a cleaning day was loooong overdue. So I thought I would share my clean room -- I know it will not look clean to most of you -- but it is! I am not sharing any "before" pictures, for fear you would be blinded by the total mess and unsubscribe asap! Personally I love seeing peoples spaces -- neat ideas are invented out of need and function and it is just so interesting to see how people organize their craft room. My room is kinda small, I already moved out of the office and took this room.... I am thinking of moving to another larger room. But I fear I will just over grow that one too, might be better to try and contain myself.... and ohhhh, moving this room --YIKES!!! So here we go for your peek in to my happy space..... If you dare you can click on the pictures to enlarge them.



Here we have the ribbon wall... Apparently I like RED! I have had to replace the wooden dowels here and there with metal dowels... as I have a bit of a sagging issue... maybe I have too much? Nah!
----------------------------------------------------------


As you come in to the room you are greeted by the Punch Door, behind the door I have more punches and my SU sets that are sentiments. Then my paper rack, which is sort of organized by colors of NON-SU 12x12 papers. Above the paper rack is an old cassette tape rack - which is now ink storage, well some of my inks, lol!
----------------------------------------------------------


This wall is directly behind where I sit -- so it has a lot of things that I reach for and use more often. I keep my basic embossing powders in the little glad ware plastic boxes... clear, white, black, gold and silver. You can see I got right up to the ceiling, I am six feet tall -- so I can reach it!
----------------------------------------------------------

All of the colored pencils perch up here... I love all the colors. Since my discovery of Copics my poor little pencils have gotten no love. I must play with them soon.



This is a short wall housing some stamps -- some cases have stamps in them, some by theme and some by stamp company. Some case house a technique like quilling or tea bag folding. You can see all the cards on the wall, some are mine, but most are cards that have been given to me, I update them here and there, replacing them sometimes... I love to see them everyday! My ipod player is housed in the middle -- it is on all the time while I am in this room.
----------------------------------------------------------


The room has a little alcove in the back corner -- and YEP, I filled it up too. originally it was a desk to be used as my Die-Cut station. Now More SU is stacked tall... drawers hold all sorts of goodies. The rainbow drawers on the bottom hold more inks and a few stamp companies by vendor, that way I can go pull out a drawer and put it on the desk if I am working with a specific company's stamps. Also you can see my scrap buckets with colors organized in zip lock bags-- I always forget to use these, but can not bear to trash them.

----------------------------------------------------------




Here's a peek in to the closet. I took the doors to the closet down.... It's not about pretty in this room -- it's all function! On top of the white storage drawers I have filing bins that hold all the SU card stock, organized neatly -- I have no idea who left those colors sticking out of the files like that. My bad cat must have been in there playing around.

----------------------------------------------------------



Here is the desk where all the inky mess happens! I bought this table at Rooms to Go, and it is really heavy and sturdy. If it gets scratched or gets ink on it, I don't worry a bit, that just adds character. You can see the cat has a bed up here -- worst mistake I ever made. He kept coming up on the table messing in my stuff so I brought in a little bed for him, which he does sit in a lot... but every once in a while he has to get up and come plop himself in my work space for some attention, then after I adore him and rub his ears for a sufficient amount of time he will go back to his bed and the process starts all over again. Also you can see I have things on a lazy susan-- makes for easy access to things.

----------------------------------------------------------
A few other fun things I wanted to share.....

My Lady of Scissors.... I constantly lose my scissors, so I bought like five pairs of good little snippers, but I still lost them when I was crafting, under the piles of stuff I would have on my desk. So I saw this lady thingy at TJ Max one day -- I think it is meant for hanging your necklaces on, but not in my house. Now my scissors hang in front of me and I can grab them at any time, I have trained myself to put them back right away so they are always there. Ribbon Scissors, Kai Scissors, SU paper Snips, Cutterbees... all just hanging and waiting.

----------------------------------------------------------

OK -- I know I have a lot of stuff. But one of my most vexing issues is how to store my nesties together and have them all in one convenient spot... here is what I have done. I got this 4x6 little album with little plastic sleeves - In the front of the sleeve is the card from the Spellbinder's Packaging and in the back of the pocket are the dies. This keeps all my Spellbinders Nesties and dies that I do not use every day.... My basic Shapes of Nesties stay out all the time hanging in jump rings attached to the edge of my desk for easy access (you can see this in Prince Peppercorn's picture).

----------------------------------------------------------

FYI, the rest of my house is not like this crazy room! Hope you liked the peek in to my crazy clutter filled room of crafting! I'm off to stamp!

29 comments:

  1. Ok Lady now you've finished yours, it's high time you high tailed it over the Pond and sorted mine out for me... I just showed DH your pictures, I said...see look Jenny as more stuff then I do.. his reply ... yeah but at least hers is all on the shelves!!!... men!!!...lol.
    hugs
    Sheila xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I wish I had this many stamps! I love your room. I rent a room in a home and my twin bed is in one side and my three stamping tables around the other sides..lol. You see what is important. My stamps fit onto two bookshelves and then my computer and printer are on a roll around cart. But I love it! Thanks for sharing your photos. I love seeing what others do to organize.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, no, I get her first, I can't even get in my craft room. I go in, get what I want and then work on the dining room table. You have a great craft room, Jenny. Now I can imagine you sitting and creating with Prince Peppercorn supervising. Boy, I think you win the prize for the most punches! And I thought I had a lot. Thanks for sharing. If I ever get mine organized, I will do the samd.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow girl, this is amazing, love your craft space. Hugs Cindy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh... I feel normal, I feel normal.. thank you for making me feel normal! :-> Your organization options are practical and realistic! I LIKE THAT! I have the reverse problem of you - I'm only 5'2"... so half of my wall space is not easy for me to get to... I'm in a little 10x10 alcove (not even a full room of walls) off of the LR and I've started spilling into the TV cabinet :-> Maybe I should consider one of those garage ceiling rack thingees!

    Thank you so much for showing us pictures of your space. Like you, I enjoy seeing how others have gotten creative for storage and work space. I can use all the help I can get.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my... even after seeing your space I still can't figure out how you got it all in there! I tried making my den into a craft room but it didn't all fit. So I'm still stamping in one corner of my bedroom, and letting the "stuff" flow out into every room of my house. All my friends are like that too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was lovely to see into your stamp room. You are inspiring me to get in and organize my own.You do have way too many punches!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how you have everything "in sight" I am a stamper like that too...very visual...or otherwise I forget I have the stuff LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. holy smokes girlie! I don't think I have seen so much stuff in a room. WOWzers. You did a great job organizing your stuff. Love the hanging scissors idea and the lazy susan!! Hugs,

    P.S. and all those punches? Whew, makes my head spin!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, my, god. *lol* I cannot believe how much STUFF you have! You're a craft MONSTER!!!! Geez, you could open your own store, and have inventory clear into the middle of the next decade... *lol*

    And it's beautiful. I can totally see why it might have taken you 10 hours to clean up--that's a lot of stuff to keep track of! And you've come up with some fun storage optimization, too. Thank you so much for sharing your space! (And, I had no idea you were so tall! =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am practically drooling over every picture. Wow you have a ton of stuff....I hope to be as into stamping as you are some day.

    You inspired me to post a picture of my craft room on my blog. So here it is.

    http://stampingwithprincess.wordpress.com/2009/05/31/my-craft-room/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my, looks like heaven! I can't wait to show my dh so that he gets the picture that I don't really have so much stuff! I have an idea for your paper scraps, since you can't bear to line the trash with them;) Maybe you could do a little giveaway, a sort of blog candy kind of thing. When I first started as a demo, my upline gave a bunch of her scraps that she just had lying around. It has been the best thing ever. I still have some and I use them!!! Food for thought!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved seeing where you create those wonderful cards! That's a lot of crafting material. I might never leave that room if I had it! Thanks for sharing the pics with us.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are our hero!! My kids just shake their heads and think mom is getting way too close to the funny farm - who needs all that much stuff. They have absolutely no interest in anything crafty - they're into action. Sigh. But now, with pictures in hand, I can prove I'm not the only one. I do have one question -- what sort of brackets are you using to hang your ribbon dowels? Thx for sharing your room
    Elaine Moore - mtn.moven.faith@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing pics of how you organized your room. I always appreciate seeing how others do it because I'm constantly re-doing mine. As you said, we tend to outgrow our space so quickly. I just recently worked on mine and I'm very pleased with where everything is - at least for now. Well done! Bet you felt great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fun post and I loved peeking into your happy space - you DO have a lot of STUFF!!! LOL!!! But it's all nice and neat and organized -- now, if ONLY I could say the same -- LOL!!! TFS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never seen your table so cleared off!! Worth your 10 hours of work I'm sure. Great pictures. Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow - and I thought I had a lot of stuff, lol!!! There must have been a cleaning bug 'cos I did the same in my craft room yesterday!! Good for you for having such a sort out - feels really great for the mojo!!
    Hugs, Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  19. Still trying to get my scraps better organized and out of a basket and file folder. However, I do go to them first before I cut something else up.

    Now if I can only get the toilet, sink, lights, shower stall etc. out of the spare room and into the ensuite/work in progress.....

    Cat

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow, wow, wow, what a crafty wonderland you got there, Jenny - you lucky girl - congrats on your FUN room!!! Being a newbie, I am amaze at just how you kept it so organize :) - thanks for the peek!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! What a crafters dream area Jenny!! So nice and organized with so many goodies. Now that you are done, want to fly out and help me. Teehee! Especially love your nestability storage! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Jenny,

    Yowzza's that certainly is a jam packed room you have there. I can't believe how many punches you have. I have a Lazy Susan too and I have put 7 recycled cans on it to hold my sisssors, pens etc. I still need to decorate them but it looks really nifty when it's done with card and designer papers. My scrap card it in portable plastic file holders in files like a filing draw. I like it because I can pull out the file for each colourway and find scraps for my projects as I create. Thanks for sharing your little creative nook.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Jenny, I love it! What a super room! I love how you have stamps on display - I will have to try the lazy susan idea for my desktop...that's the one area that I just can't get the way I want it - super post!

    ReplyDelete
  24. WOW, looks like a fun place to play!!

    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Okay, Jenny, now you have made me feel human. I thought I was the only one with a lot of everything. I am going to start selling some of it on EBAy. Anyway, I love your album solution to the dies too! Very creative room I think!!! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  26. loved the glimpse into your art room. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  27. wow Jenny! It's Carole M/O.S.A. member. I somehow found my way to your blog, via a blog, you know how it goes? I am totally amazed and so enjoyed seeing your revamped work-room. What a buzz; stamping away in there! All those beautiful ribbons too.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh my word Girl! I called my hubby in here to look at these pictures and said, "See, I DON'T have everything! LOL!!! Please come to my house and get me organized!{{{hugs}}}!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I just found your blog and love your cards. I also love the way you have your ribbon and stamps organized. I showed my husband as he is trying to make me somehting to hang my ribbons on and now I have a picture to show him exactly. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete