Pages

Saturday, April 18, 2009

OCC Challenge - And some Card Candy!

It's Saturday, Time for the OCC Weekly Challenge!

This week our April hostess, Silke Ledlow, has put together a fun and interesting challenge. With Earth Day approaching April 22nd, Silke challenges us to create a card/project using recycled items. Our Creative Corner would like to welcome our guest designer for this week - Betsy Griffin from Innovative Stamp Creations. Betsy generously is giving away one of her newly released stamp sets: Nature Silhouette II for this weeks prize. Head to the OCC page for the details!
For a close up view on the "Recycled" Challenge projects for this week please visit the OCC ladies on their blog -Silke Ledlow, Cindy Haffner, Jennifer Meyer, Kim Teasdale, Lori Boyd, Robin Willis, Frances Byrne, Loretta Lock , Viki Garrett and Joycelyn Turner.
------------------------------------------------------

Now on to my little kitty card. Well, before I tell you about the card, I guess I'll let the cat out the bag and tell you today is my birthday! Another year, man, they fly by so fast!!! I told Silke this was the perfect challenge for today as I do feel plenty "Recycled" most days! Now the card.... So, we were to use something recycled for the challenge, and honestly thinking about it all week, I could not get past the simple brown grocery bag. Not much on the "cool and neat" idea scale this week! I created my brown bag using my Scor Pal to create some little folds and inserting a piece of chip board to give my bag some strength and lift. I edged the bag top with some pinking scissors for that "real bag" feel. I colored kitty using Copics and then went back and added a few white hairs with a gel pen. They eyes are not blue, but black, the camera did not like white gel pen and black ink together and turned them blue in the photo, thank goodness it wasn't devil red or something really bizarre.I cut out the main image using a Nestie, the additional layers were hand trimmed. I airbrushed a bit and added lotsa doodles! A few little crystals and a triple bow.... YES.... "HOW TO" BOW INFO SOON TO COME!!! Click on the pics for a closer view. Finished card size is 5x7.

------------------------------------------------------

What?? You think I should offer up some "Celebrate My Birthday Blog Candy"??? I don't have any stamps to give away today. Hmmm, How about 5 of my Handmade Cards? Leave me a comment on this posting for your chance to win. Please spread the word on your blog and let your friends know, if you would like to. I will use random picker thingy to select a winner on Sunday night at 8PM. I'll send your cards out first thing Monday Morning! If you are subscribed or sign up now to recieve my Email newsletter or follow my Blog, then you can leave two comments for an extra chance to win.

  • Stamps: All Stamps by Repeat Impressions; Sentiment #2516 G, Kitty #6216-N
  • Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Versafine Onyx Black
  • Paper: All DP by SU, Paper Bag by Trader Joes!, Neenah Classic Crest Solar White, Black
  • Other: Pinking Scissors, Copics/ABS, Crystals, Misc. Ribbon, Black Micron Pen, Paper Piercer, Spellbinder's Curved Rectangles

45 comments:

  1. Awww super cute cat and bag ... Happy Birthday Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! Love the cat and the card...great use of nesties.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh my gosh Jenny! You let the cat out of the bag!!!!! Wow!! This is absolutely adorable!!!! Hope you have a wonderful Birthday!

    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL!!!! Love this! Very clever! Have a happy birthday! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you 'let the cat out of the bag'! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAPPY BIRTHDAY - JENNY!!! I'm telling you - you are tooooo funny :)!!! Your card is so darn cute - love how you used the bag!!!

    Enjoy your special day!!! Big b-day hugs ~S~

    ReplyDelete
  7. April babies are special...I'm one, too! Happy birthday, Jenny. Love your cat card.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my! Such an adorable kittie! Love the bow and the doodling and the coloring. Love it, love it love it! Can't ya tell? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. P.S. Oh and also, all great people are born in April. It was my sister's birthday yesterday! Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this cat out of the bag!! So creative!! Happy Birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday. Cute card!

    ReplyDelete
  12. what an adorable kitty!!!!!! a bow tutorial, you say - YAY!!!! I need all the help I can get!

    Happy Birthday, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Jenny, you are one Krafty Kat! I love what you did with the "Kat and Bag." Happy Birthday and many more.......

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness, Jenny! This is just adorable! Such a cute and clever card!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness, Jenny! This is just adorable! Such a cute and clever card!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What...you're birthday? Well I hope you are doing something FUN today! Been browsing your blog changes and can't wait to see your followers grow! and...wow look at all those DT's..you are on fire girl..I am so excited at each new addition! Happy, Happy Day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, Jenny - hope this is a truly GREAT birthday for you!!! You deserve it! Celebrate it well!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oops, forgot to say how fab your card is! I did something similar a couple of years ago, but yours is MUCH cuter! You make the BEST cards on the planet - ALWAYS! Even the pink and brown ones! Pink is my favorite color, brown is my most hated, so it is hard to love those cards, but if you made it.... I LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Birthday! Love your cat card! So cute, thank you for a chance to win birthday blog candy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I recently discovered your blog and signed up for email updates. I'm enjoying all your creative ideas and look forward to whatever you show me naext! Happy Birthday! -Mary R.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy Birthday Jenny! What wonderful birthday blog candy...love your work!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love your cards...you do great work.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy birthday! I love your projects and your blog. I am a dog person but this kitty is a sweety! Looks just like my neighbor's cat who seems to stay in our yard more than his own. The coloring on the cat is amazing! Thanks for sharing your talent with us! I will tell my friends at card club tomorrow to check your site - esp. the cat lovers! Again, happy birthday.

    Chris R. from Iowa
    ckrobinson01@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a cute card! I love kitties and yours is the cutest ever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy Birthday to a great "Kat" :)
    I just found your site recently and love it!!!
    Thanks so much for taking time to share your artwork with us. I have many many cat lovers who will love this:)
    Cheryl In So Cal

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy Birthday Jenny!

    I absolutely love your kitty card. I'll be watching for your how to bow info. Your bows are fantastic.

    Jeanette

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy Birthday to you! The kitty card is not only adorable but very creative, how cute! Thank you for a chance to win some of your cards. I have been an admirer of your talents for some time and would love to see some of them up close:)

    Nettie

    ReplyDelete
  28. I hope your birthday was wonderful! Thank you for a chance to win some of your amazing cards.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh..I did sign up to follow your blog so this is my second comment!

    ReplyDelete
  30. The bag is the cutest! You just keep coming up with the most unique ideas!

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. U am a subscriber so this is my second comment!

    Keep up the great samples! Can't wait for the bow instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you.... Great idea for a give away.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Jenny,
    This card is waaay cute! Plus, I love the way you're letting the cat out of the bag that it's your birthday. All the doodles are great, as are the little ribbon tabs on the sentiment. So many special touches.
    Happy Birthday!

    Sue P Snellville, GA

    ReplyDelete
  34. It would make my " year" if I won these cards !!! They are the cutest ever. I don't know if I could ever send them to anyone - I'd have to keep them for myself !!!!
    Keeping fingers crossed :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Happy Birthday!!!

    Thanks for the gorgeous cards you're offering!!! WOW!!

    I love your work. The card "the cat's out of the bag" from the OCC challenge is what made me come to your site & I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I just subscribed, so here's my second comment! Thanks!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love all your cards! Your designs are terrific! The cat out of the bag I just love the color combo! Thanks for just to win this wonderful candy. Also thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I just subscribed for your emails so this is my second comment! Hope you have a wonderful Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  39. My granddaughter is staying with us this weekend. Yesterday I showed her the hydrant card. You got two generations laughing our selves silly. I'm afraid if I won this candy I would have a hard time letting go of these cards! LOL
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  40. Darling card Jenny, LOVE the fun title and beautiful design!

    A Happy Birthday to you, I hope you enjoyed your special day!!

    Birthday hugs to you,
    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. what a cute card!! thank for the chance to win some of your cards.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hey Jenny, this is my second post to win your awesome cards. I hope you had a very special birthday, and thanks for a chance to win.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I WOULD LOVE TO WIN YOUR BLOG CANDY BUT HAVING FOUND YOUR BLOG IS A PRIZE ENOUGH I LOVE YOUR CARDS AND YOUR STYLE. THANKS FOR CHECKING OUT AND COMMENTING ON MY OCC ENTRY.

    ReplyDelete
  44. I signed up to be one of your followers, not just because of the blog candy but because I really want to follow your blog. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete