Pages

Sunday, July 13, 2008

One Custom Cupcake!


OK, so I gave in on the birds and the owls craze... and I think I might be the last one to jump aboard the Cupcake Train... but I did! This is the sweet (heehehe) story of my custom cupcake and the cherry...

We'll start at the top...

  • I stamped the cupcake on DP, ivory & red twice.
  • I cut out the two toppings and then made a slit in the swirls and slid them together, making one large topping... everyone loves the icing right? (Actually, I really don't)
  • Next I used Copic Dark Red to add some shading around the swirls.
  • Then I think to myself...sugar beads might be cool to cover the topping. I actually used Sugar Dust (very fine sugar beads). Well, this was not so cool. It made it look dull.
  • So what can I do... I'll cover it in a layer or two of clear Utee, yep... that worked, it shined right up and I was pleased with my cupcake recovery.
  • When I went to put my sugar beads away... I spotted mini red seed beads, and said hmmm. I could have heated it up with another layer of Utee to add some little bead sprinkles, but was afraid it might crack or worse burn from too much! So I added a generous layer of Crystal Lacquer and sprinkled my little seed beads right over it.
  • Needs something else... yes, a cherry on top. OK... I got serious with this cherry! I wanted an embellishment not a stamped cherry... so I took a large red crystal, drilled (with my handy dandy Dremel) an indentation into the top side, and slid my wire right in to create a stem.
  • The crystal still looked faceted, so MORE crystal lacquer was needed to give my cherry a rounded look... it turned out way better than I expected! (pat on the back)
  • I put my cupcake on two scallop nesties. The ivory one I ran through the CB Swiss Dots Folder. The Next one is red and I used a marker to color the outside edges black. Japanese Screw Punch makes easy and precise work of punching out the little holes on the edge.

The rest of the card...

  • I used a paisley scallop nestie to create the wavy scallop edge by inserting the paper through the inside of the paisley die, and only cutting with one side of the die.
  • I used my Japanese Screw Punch again (one of my most favorite tools) to create the holes and dropped a little bling in.
  • The cupcake wrapper was stamped on DP and edges sponged with red. Since I made the topping bigger, I figured I needed to add to the bottom too. So I added a little red edge and trimmed it with my mini pinking scissors.
  • Twill Ribbon Bow to finish it off.

Whew. I have never baked cupcakes but I think it may have been faster! Talk about a long post... Did I bore you completely? Did you read to the end?

  • Stamps: Inkadinkadoo Clear Cupcake Set
  • Ink: Versafine Onyx with Clear Detail Ep on Sentiment, No Embossing on the Cupcake
  • Paper: SU DP Cerise & Dashing, Black, Vanilla, Vellum
  • Other: Twill Ribbon, Crystal Lacquer, Mini Red Seed beads, 18 Gauge wire, Red Crystals, Nesties, Perfect Layers, Japanese Screw Punch, CB Swiss Dots

6 comments:

  1. Man, I'm tired just reading about it! I don't know where you come up with some of your ideas, but they are very clever!

    You've been a regular posting fool here lately! You're putting me to shame! Unfortunately life on the road is making it hard for me to get anything done.

    Well, your cupcake has made me hungry - I'm off to get some dinner!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow, can't believe how much trouble you went to... on the other hand, the card is maximally splendid (did you use splenda for your cupcake?)!
    I'm hungry too, now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SWEET! (hehehehehe/
    Queen Marcy

    ReplyDelete
  4. WoW!!! That's some recipe. You lost me on a couple steps. I'll need to come visit this card up close and personal. It looks DELICIOUS!

    Sue P Snellville, GA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I read to the end, and no, you didn't bore me! Some fabulous ideas incorporated here! You may join "the train" late, but you play catch-up and by-pass very well! Another fab creation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great cupcake card looks good enough to eat.

    ReplyDelete